Welcome to the International Institute of Orthotics and Prosthetics
Orthotics and prosthetics is a specialized health care profession that combines technical and clinical skills to care for patients with neuromuscular and musculoskeletal disorders and/or patients who have a partial or total absence of a limb. O&P professionals examine and measure patients, then design and fabricate appropriate devices such as prosthetic limbs and medical braces that allow these individuals to live more active and independent lives. The O&P profession offers the opportunity to interact one-on-one with patients and make a positive, life-changing impact.
The need for O&P professionals is increasing due to aging population and the number of veterans needing O&P services. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in the O&P field is projected to increase 18% from 2020 to 2030, much faster than the national average for all occupations.
O&P Career Track
- BS degree in health or other field relevant to O&P
- MS degree
- 18 month to 24 month residency
- Certification by American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics, and Pedorthics
Why choose IIOP?
- Students can complete a Master’s Degree program in Orthotics and Prosthetics in 16 months at our state-of-the-art facility in Tampa, Florida.
- We have the newest, most advanced technology available in the O&P field, with spacious labs and enough equipment for every student.
- Our program cost is among the lowest in the country with no out-of-state tuition fees.
- The facility is home to an independent O&P clinic which gives our students the opportunity to complete clinical rotations onsite and gain valuable patient interaction experience.
- IIOP’s commitment to learning extends beyond our graduate program. We offer continuing education for lifelong learning.
- Our students also become involved in the Tampa community. They volunteer at the Special Olympics, the DOD Warrior Games, and Veterans adaptive sports community events sponsored by the Veterans Stride Foundation. And they have the opportunity to enjoy all the culture and fun that Tampa has to offer.
- IIOP is actively driving the future direction of the O&P field, raising awareness of the profession and the patients we serve. Our facility hosts O&P certification exams by the American Board of Certification in Orthotics and Prosthetics three times each year. We host tours for lawmakers and meet with them to discuss policies that national organizations such as the AOPA are advocating. And we write grants to assist in improving the education and quality of life of the patients we serve.
Applicants must have obtained a Bachelor’s Degree in Science with an emphasis in health or related field, preferably in a field related to Orthotics and Prosthetics, conferred from a nationally accredited Institute, College, or University, with a cumulative GPA of no less than 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
Applicants with a degree in any other discipline will be reviewed individually, and an admission recommendation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Typical undergraduate coursework completed leading to successful graduates includes physics, life sciences/biology, chemistry, human anatomy, psychology, and statistics.
“As a first-year graduate student at the International Institute of Orthotics and Prosthetics (IIOP), I had the opportunity to acquire valuable practical skills and knowledge that will serve me well as an O & P practitioner. I had been fortunate to be a part of a small class cohort of like-minded fellow students with experienced, knowledgeable instructors. I was primarily impressed with the new state of the art facilities complete with fabrication labs and a private clinic that is made readily available to all of its students. IIOP provided a very welcoming environment that is both challenging and rewarding. I would sincerely recommend IIOP to anyone wanting to study to become an O&P practitioner.”
Victor Bustamante, Florida
“IIOP presented me with incredible opportunities both in the patient clinic and the classroom to expand my knowledge of Orthotics and Prosthetics further than anywhere else. The amazing faculty and staff provided a platform for my classmates and I to carve out our own style of healthcare professionalism and fabrication techniques.”
Richard Gotti, New York
“The program at IIOP suited my learning style perfectly. It is fast, but the instructors make sure that no one is left behind. They were able to do this by maintaining smaller class sizes that allow for plenty of one on one. The mid-semester reviews are thorough and detailed to let the students know where they excel and where improvement is needed. Everything about this school is hands-on learning through every step of the way. We worked as a team to achieve the common goal which is providing top-notch patient care.”
Joaquin Campa III, Florida
“My time here at IIOP not only expanded my understanding of the O&P field, but has taught me more about my capabilities to solve problems and constantly seek resolution in and out of the classroom. I have learned how to work hard in the lab so I am able to enjoy the beauty of Tampa, Florida. From kayak fishing in the mangroves, to enjoying the sweet sweet beaches, Tampa has quickly become one of my favorite places to live. If you’re like me and you are from out of town, then no problem because IIOP is within 5 minutes from the Tampa International Airport! IIOP has continued to challenge me but has made my graduate experience one I will never forget.”
Bryce Dahl, Tennessee
“I have just finished my last semester at IIOP and it has been such a fun and beneficial learning experience. The facility is unlike anything I have seen at other schools and even other O&P facilities. I come from a background in prosthetics and orthotics, so I had pretty high expectations for the school and it checks all my boxes. There is so much space in a brand-new building, which makes working on projects very stress-free. The instructors are so much fun to work with and knowledgeable in their fields. I would recommend this program to anyone interested in the field of orthotics and prosthetics.”
Alex Miller, Ohio
“IIOP is an amazing institute to learn from for many reasons, just a few being their great professors, the high quality education and the fabrication labs. I toured the program before I was admitted and fell in love with the facility because it’s huge and you have access to so many resources here including new cutting edge technology even other schools don’t have access to. A huge bonus is you get to study and learn at the same campus you’ll be taking your CPM board exams at which is a plus. The professors here are passionate and great at what they do. They also care a lot about your success and strive to make you better. I’ve personally never been somewhere where the professors are invested in you to this degree. I’ve learned so much through this program, and I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to start and build the beginning of my O&P career here.”
Wadad Lahoud, Texas (2020 Graduate)
“The focus on fabrication and clinical skills is what sets IIOP apart. We spent as much time in the lab as we did in the clinic, something that is lacking in most other O and P programs. Along with this, the class size provides ample opportunities for one on one learning and the professors are extremely knowledgeable. All the Faculty and staff at IIOP genuinely want the best for students and will go above and beyond to make sure we succeed.”
Kenneth Laufer, Pennsylvania (2020 Graduate)
“I looked forward to coming to school every day because IIOP had provided me with the best education in the best environment. It was great to be part of a school whose sole focus is Orthotics and Prosthetics. The class sizes are small, and the facility is very spacious, which made working on assignments a breeze. I just recently graduated and I will miss my instructors, who had made my time at the school not only educational but also fun. If you want the best O&P education you can get, IIOP is the school for you.”